Friday, April 17, 2009

Bloggers' Quilt Festival-BQFF Quilt

At the beginning of 2006 Me and My Best Quilty Friend Forever Michelle (AKA Ms. Goody Two Shoes) decided to start making and swapping blocks. For each block we made, we made one for each other. We spent our whole retreat that year choosing fabric and making blocks. This carried on for months. We live over an hour from each other and did most of our consulting by phone and computer. We choose the blocks based on our personalities, our history's, our favorites and our friendship. We both have last names that begin with an H. We love angels, hearts, Bee Skeps and sheep. We traced our hands for the heart in hand blocks. We are both patriotic. Most of the pieced blocks have cool names that we felt had meaning for us like Memory, Sisters Choice, Thrifty, Churn Dash/Monkey Wrench, Friendship Star, Pennsylvania etc.

This is Michelle's Quilt before borders. I am embarrassed to say I could not find one of the finished quilt.

Here is my quilt after the borders were put on. That is Michelle holding it up.

Here is my finished quilt. I do use it and I always take it with me to retreat with my Quilty Pals. I love having a reminder of My Sister in Stitches and I working together. We continue to have a great friendship and encourage each other creatively and otherwise.


Don't forget to check out all the other quilt blogs who are involved in The Bloggers' Quilt Festival. Do what you love.




32 comments:

rachel griffith said...

what a great quilt!!!

Big Sky Paper and Design said...

Great story on how these quilts came to be! Both are beautiful! Friendship is a sheltering tree!!!
Beth
http://cornerhousequilts.blogspot.com

Anya said...

Lovely quilts and great story. Thanks for sharing...

Suze said...

How wonderful to have such a real hug even when your friend is not right there. You surely smile everytime you see that lovely quilt.

Patty said...

I love your quilt.

heather said...

That is a great idea for true friendship quilts.

jlk said...

What a great idea! I should make my quilting bff do that with me :)

Zonnah said...

It is beautiful.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

I have a BFF quilty friend too. Your quilt is really so unique and cute. It is a beautiful memory quilt.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Wonderful quilty friendship and quilt. Thanks for stopping by my blog and the nice comment on my pinwheel star quilt.

Mary L. said...

What a great friendship and the quilt is fabulous!

Teresa said...

That's a real treasure!

Thimbleanna said...

What a fun quilt! And great story -- quilts made with friends are the best!

Becky said...

Melody that is a wonderful story. Such a special connection for both of you.

And the quilts are beautiful!!

nicolette said...

The story and both the quilts are amazing!

Stephanie D. said...

What a terrific idea, and I love how the quilts turned out!

Nice choice!

Amy @ Park City Girl said...

What a great treasure to have as a reminder everyday! your quilts are both so special - thank you for sharing :)

Aunt Spicy said...

Both quilts are beautiful, I love how you worked on them together!

Quilt Rat said...

Great friends and great quilts what else do we really need?
Wonderful story, beautifully done quilts.enjoy the festival

Micki said...

It is a beautiful quilt!
Micki

quiltmom said...

What a great concept - "my sister in stitches"- I have a quilt friend just like that... we have lots of wonderful adventures together- I am sure that you and your friend do too.
Your quilts both worked out terrific.
What a nice story!
Regards,
Anna

Coloradolady said...

Beautiful quilt. I love the country look of this one, very warm looking.

two hippos said...

What a great story!

Lynette Anderson said...

The quilts are gorgeous and I love the giant scissors that are on top of your quilt shelf.

whoopdedoo_5 said...

This is so great! awesome story! :)

Janet Brady said...

What a great way to share your passion with a good friend. It was interesting to see how differently you each arranged the blocks. I'm coming back for the big bag tutorial after I finish all 300 quilts (so far) in the festival!

Shannon said...

Aren't sisters great. I love your quilt. You really put some work into it and it shows. I read about the quilt festival off of your blog, I don't know why I didn't sign up then. I am so glad I did.

Ariane said...

I love it. It's a beautiful quilt.

Cheryl said...

I just love that quilt...I have the perfect spot for it!!!! Great story of friendship. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Judy Alexander said...

Beautiful quilts and story. Thanks for sharing.

nanann said...

That is great to make quilts with friends like that -- makes them so much more meaningful.

Thanks for sharing! and thanks for the lovely words on my blog as well.

Kathy - Pink Chalk Studio said...

This is a beautiful quilt but I truly love the story of your quilty friendship. Thanks for sharing this.