Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Melody's Notebook Cover

This one is for all the note takers and list makers. It makes a great gift fast. A nice gift for Mother's Day. Just think of all your nieces, aunts, cousins, sister, friends and even little kids.

There are many fabrics you could choose to make yours with.


You even have a pocket for a pen and pencil.


I just made one for My Little One. He requested it for keeping the stats for Hot Wheel races that he and his pals have at recess. This is the fabric he chose.

You will need:
Two or Three fat quarters
18” x 22” piece of batting
Matching thread
One button and loop(hair band) or 2 snaps or hook and loop tape

Wind yourself a full bobbin. Layer your outside fabric, batting and inside fabric. Quilt as desired.

Trim quilted fabric 6 1/2" x 13" and 6 1/2" x 3 1/2"


From the 6 1/2" x 13" piece trim rounded corners from one short end. I usually just whack it right off. If you want you can put a pin and trace around anything round.

From binding fabric cut one 15” square - bias binding
cut one 3 ½” x 10” - pen/pencil pocket
cut one 4” x 6 ½” - back cover strap

From 15” square make 2 ½” bias binding.

Fold 3 ½” x 10” wrong sides together to make 3 ½” x 5”.


Fold 4” x 6 ½” to make 1” x 6 ½” strap. First fold in half to 2" x 6 1/2".

Then fold raw edges in to middle and press.

Here are the pressed pocket and strap.

Here are all the parts and we are ready to assemble.

Top stitch close to folded edge of pocket.


Top stitch the strap. If you wanted to personalize you could put a name here.

Layer pocket to quilted 6 1/2" piece and sew raw edges together 1/8" from edge.

When I get to the bottom edge I stop halfway.


Then I turn the piece so that I am sewing toward the top of the pocket.

When I get to the top of the pocket I take one stitch over and then sew back down to the bottom.

Then I finish sewing around.


Next bind right side of pocket.


Place Pocket piece on top of main piece. Place strap seven inches from square edge.

Pin and baste.


Select your hairband. I like the ones that do not have any metal.


Fold rounded end and find center.

Stitch hairband in inside.

Apply binding.






When top stitching binding be careful not to catch the loop of hairband.

Be really sure. ;-)


Looking good now all you need is to add your button, notebook, pen and pencil.

The Little One and his buddies already started writing in his.



There you have it a new gift.
Let me know if you make one or more. I love feedback and want to see photos of your work. This is my favorite fast gift to make and I hope you like it too.





6 comments:

Julie said...

I love this idea, all my kids would love something like this to take to church with them. And my oldest "takes notes" on everything. This will have to be one of my next projects.

Lindsey said...

Dang girl! I bet the photos and writing this tutorial took longer than the actual project! Very cute.

Lola....L..O..L..A....lo--oh--luh! said...

I am a sucker for notebooks, and covers! I cover any book I can find with fabric! I can't wait to give this tutorial a shot....soon!

Quilt Hollow said...

I love the buttons!!!! Yes, the tutorial too...but boy do the buttons add the charm!! Good Job!!

Shannon said...

Oh this is "SEW" cute. I'm going to make a couple for prizes for my Sew Along Saturday that's coming up. A little long on printing, but so worth it. Thanks for sharing.

Teresa said...

Great tutorial - I am going to have to try this.

We have the same iron. Does yours leak? Mine does and it is so aggravating, but I love the iron. So I just keep a mist spray bottle beside my ironing board now and don't put water in the iron. I sure miss those bursts of steam though.

Do you ever wonder why they make the water reservoir on those irons a dark color where you can't tell how much water you have in there?