Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My First Quilt

Carrie and Camille mentioned on their blogs about showing your first quilt and your last finished quilt. Well, I am going to show you my sad little wall hanging. Its hand pieced, machined pieced, hand appliqued, machine quilted, hand quilted and mitered borders.


Quilting detail from the back.


No! I do not drink heavily! I just did not fully understand how to get a tidy binding.

It looks better from far away!

Oh, yes I did make another one at the same time. Silly, I know. Now I have two old wonky wall hangings.
BTW, I did get better at binding by the third or fourth one.

So this is my last big finish. I was a gift for my wonderful Sister. I was queen sized and matched her sofa pretty well. I gave it to her in person when I went to Cali last month.

Here it is again looking pretty good at my house too! She is so lucky I love Her!


I hope to see more bloggers sharing their first quilt and last finish! Will You?


13 comments:

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Wow, you did a great job on your first quilt! And, I love the latest one for your sister -- it's gorgeous!

Carrie said...

Melody ~ They're all wonderful! I love those two little wallhangings ~ and your hand-quilting looks pretty darn impressive! As for your most recent finish... can I be your sister? PUHLEEEEZ?!?

I have to laugh about your "tidy binding". There are times ~ recent times! ~ when I will finish a binding and wonder the same thing... was I drinking when I did that? Some days are better than others ~ but all the quilts are pretty special.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful quilts. (And seriously, I would make an awesome sister... just don't ask my brother for an opinion on that though...) :)

beedeebabee said...

Your first quilts are sooo adorable, and your last one is sooo beautiful! Lucky sister!!! Paulette :o)

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Fun to see the first wall hangings. You sure attempted lots of methods on your first project. Lucky sister - perfect quilt.
I shared my first also.

Cora said...

Hey there Quilty Mama. Love the quilt you made for Val. Bet she really loved it. Thanks for your inspiration and guidance along the way.

Camille said...

Oh my goodness your sister is lucky!!! How do we sign up for that job? What a fantastic quilt! Love the wonky ones at the beginning too. You've definitely come a long way. (I mean that in the best possible way!) ;-)

jaybird said...

wow light night and day...from super small to giant!! love that you used so many techniques on your first piece!

Bowlby said...

Your sister is so lucky! That's one gorgeous quilt.

Julia said...

Oh...I love your latest! The colors speak to me...(they are saying "Why aren't you HER sister"!)LOL! I'm a newbie whose first quilt isn't even quilted yet, but I love yours. Even the wonky ones!!

L Johnson said...

Oh you give me hope!!!! I am getting ready to bind my first bound quilt:)

Uniquely Yours Creations said...

That's not bad for a first
quilt. Very nice!

dotti white said...

I absolutely love your newest quilt! What a big job! Your first quilts are sweet, too! Thank you for sharing!

AJ said...

Love your last quilt.